Local YSAs deciding 2020 seasons

by Michelle Dillon michelle@thecherokeean.com

Some area youth sports associations are holding onto hope that the 2020 season can be saved, while others have decided to cancel the season.

Among those who have decided to close the 2020 season are the Jacksonville Soccer Association and the Alto Youth Baseball and Softball Association.

The Jacksonville Soccer Association posted on their Facebook page March 30, “The City of Jacksonville has extended the soccer complex closure through the month of April to help limit the spread of the Coronavirus. Because of this the JSA board has decided to cancel the Spring 2020 season.”

In-person refunds were given Saturday, April 4.

The statement on Facebook also noted, “If you have a child that is U11 or older and playing in Tyler, then you’ll have to wait to see what the Tyler organization decides to do about their season.”

On Friday, April 3, the Alto Youth Baseball and Softball Association posted, “It is sincere heartbreak that we have decided as a board to cancel the current 2020 baseball season. This has been an extremely difficult decision but we feel this is best.”

The post indicated that each player’s money would be fully refunded unless the coach had already ordered uniforms. Those with coaches who had ordered uniforms would receive their fees minus $25 and the coaches would issue uniforms once it was safe to do so.

The Rusk Youth Sports Association remains optimistic that they will be able to have a 2020 season.

“We still are holding out in hopes to play and have a great season!” was posted to their Facebook page Saturday, April 4.

On Wednesday, April 1, a post on the Jacksonville Baseball and Softball Association Facebook page indicated the organization was still expecting to hold a 2020 season.

The group’s post noted that the city parks would remain closed through April 30, but “[a]fter speaking with the Dixie League and USSSA reps, we are still optimistic for a later opening day.”

Bullard Baseball and Softball Association and Troup Youth Association have not posted anything to their Facebook pages since March 20 and March 16, respectively.

The latest post from Bullard was an update from Texas Dixie League officials, which read in part, “DYB leagues should postpone all league activity including practices and scheduled games until further notice. We are optimistic about being able to resume play in the next few weeks after we get clarity on the spread of the virus and treatment options.”

A portion of the Troup Youth Association Facebook post stated, “As of now there has been no discussion on cancelling or delaying the season’s start. We will keep everyone informed either through e-mail, Facebook or your team’s coach.”