Local youth sports associations cancel, delay events

by By Michelle Dillon michelle@thecherokeean.com

Cherokee County youth sports associations are cancelling or postponing events in light of the coronavirus outbreak.

The Jacksonville Soccer Association (JSA) has postponed opening day until further notice.

The league is allowing teams to continue practices but request coaches refrain from holding scrimmages.

JSA officials also asks involved parties check the Facebook page or email for updates.

The Jacksonville Baseball & Softball Association (JBSA) is not allowing practices at the complex at this time, due to its closure by the city through March 30.

In a note of clarification, the JBSA stated on its Facebook page that coaches and teams could decide to hold practices on their own.

Association officials declared the season was not in jeopardy of being cancelled as of yet, but is awaiting information from Dixie League officials as to the status of opening day, currently set for Saturday, April 4.

Involved parties are asked to check the JBSA’s Facebook page or email for changes.

The Rusk Youth Sports Association (RYSA), due to Rusk city facilities being closed until Wednesday, April 1, has moved the opening ceremonies for baseball and softball to Saturday, April 18.

More information is promised as everything is finalized.

RYSA maintains a Facebook page under its name.

The Bullard Baseball/Softball Association (BBSA) has cancelled all practices through Thursday, March 19, at which time BBSA officials will reassess the situation and make decisions regarding future practices and games.

A statement on the group’s Facebook page stated offiials of the USSSA and Dixie leagues have both requested an implementation of a no contact policy, basically eliminating hand shaking before, during and after games.

The Alto Youth Baseball/Softball Association (AYBSA) has cancelled practices and games until further notice.

A statement on the AYBSA’s Facebook page declares the association will follow the same guidelines as the schools in the area and another meeting will take place Thursday, March 19, at which decisions about the future events will be made.

Updates are promised as decisions are made.